How’s that for a title?
Before I begin, here’s a little background on my network setup:
My ISP is Verizon FiOS, and for the menu/DVR functionality to work on the TV boxes, I’m required to use their garbage Actiontec router. To circumvent this, I’ve made the Actiontec into a DHCP server with one client: my e2000 router running DD-WRT. This router acts as the “brains” of my network by being a DHCP server for all my devices, as well as a VPN server. The Actiontec is only there because it has to be.
One day, I noticed that my VPN wouldn’t connect. I checked my VPN settings on the e2000, but everything looked OK. I checked my DDNS settings on the Actiontec, and saw it wasn’t updating. To confirm, I logged into DynDns to check my hostname and saw it hadn’t been updated since March 20th. Any configuration I tried on the Actiontec failed. After a little Googling, I found this post which suggested that due to Heartbleed, DynDns had to update their certificates, making the Actiontec out-of-date. Naturally, Verizon and Actiontec don’t have a newer firmware. Go figure.
I knew that DD-WRT had a DDNS updater built into it, and I decided to use that instead of the Actiontec. I found this Wiki to base my settings off of, but added the last item. Below are the settings that I’m using on the e2000, behind the Actiontec.
|Additional DDNS||–dyndns_system firstname.lastname@example.org –ip_server_name|
|Do not use external ip check||No|
It’s very important that the option Do not use external ip check is set to No. In my opinion, this option could be worded a little better, as it makes a double-negative. When this was set to Yes, my hostname was being updated with the WAN IP of the e2000 (192.168.1.2), instead of the WAN IP that Verizon gave me. Once I set that to No the logfile was updated with the correct IP and I verified it on Dyn’s website.